The following groups of people are at an increased risk of skin cancer.
If you say YES to any of the questions below, you are at an increased risk.
- Are you fair skinned and you do not tan but burn easily under the sun?
- Do you work outdoors and have a lot of sun exposure?
- Do your recreational activities involve a lot of sun exposure?
- Do you have a history of repeated episodes of sunburn and blistering, especially in your childhood and adolescence?
- Are you older than 50 years with fair skin?
- Do you come from an Anglo-Celtic (Scottish, Irish or Welsh) background with red hair and blue eyes?
- Did you grow up in a high sun exposed country e.g. Australia, New Zealand ?
- Do you have a history of a skin cancer of any type?
- Do you have a family history of skin cancer especially Melanoma?
- Are you an organ transplant recipient?
- Do you have history of exposure to radiation / UV therapy?
- Do you have a history of exposure to heavy industrial chemicals including coal tar, asphalt, petroleum derivatives, arsenic and others?
- Do you have many moles or unusual looking moles on your body?