17 May What are the benefits of the flu vaccination?
There are many reasons to get an influenza (flu) vaccine each year.
Due the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, getting a flu vaccine during 2020-2021 will be more important than ever. Flu vaccines will not prevent COVID-19, but they will reduce the burden of flu illnesses, hospitalizations and deaths. Less flu related illnesses in the health care system will conserve scarce medical resources for the care of people with COVID-19.
The flu season in Brisbane is generally June through to September, so it’s timely to get vaccinated in April/May if possible.
Why should I get the flu vaccination?
Below is a summary of the benefits of flu vaccination and selected scientific studies that support these benefits.
- Flu vaccination can keep you from getting sick with flu.
- Flu vaccination can reduce the risk of flu-associated hospitalization for children, working age adults, and older adults.
- Flu vaccination is an important preventive tool for people with chronic health conditions.
- Flu vaccination helps protect women during and after pregnancy.
- Flu vaccine can be lifesaving in children.
- Flu vaccination has been shown in several studies to reduce severity of illness in people who get vaccinated but still get sick.
- Getting vaccinated yourself may also protect people around you, including those who are more vulnerable to serious flu illness, like babies and young children, older people, and people with certain chronic health conditions. (Source: CDC)